Knockout City Beta Afterthought
Remember back in elementary school when it was Dodgeball day? Such an exciting time to get your aggression out on other kids depending on if they are on the opposite team. Or you can squash whatever beef just to win the game. It was a special time and now Knockout City wants to give you that feeling again in the digital world. That’s right gamers, welcome to this afterthought of Knockout City the Crossplay Open Beta that happened over the weekend. I was teamed up with Dayshiryu who was on the PC and I took up the PS5.
Dodge, dip, duck, dive, and…dodge!
Yup, I am referencing the famed movie Dodgeball, but with a twist. You do more than dodge, you will have to flip, and spin. As well as glide, charge, and do all sorts of trick shots. This game is insane and what makes it even crazier is the fact that you are on a high rise playing dodgeball. So yea, kids do not play dodgeball on the roof!
I made the mistake by calling this a “Battle Royale” style game, but that is completely false. It is an action dodgeball game to keep it that simple. It is a 3v3 that comes in different varieties. There are also private matches you can do for 1v1. Also, a diamond dash mode which is like kill confirmed. The first to get the most diamonds win. This is crucial you have a two-hit icon. You get eliminated by doing the following.
- Hitting the person twice to completely knock them out of the match which they will have to respawn.
- knocking your opponent off the edge which they will fall to their doom if they do not catch themselves.
- Using your teammate as a ball takes out both life points at once.
- Charging your teammate like a bomb and tossing them at opponents will eliminate all in one shot.
However, and this is a great thing that more developers should do in their beta’s. A deep tutorial system to show you the ropes of the game. This is some extreme dodgeballing that you will have to be doing gamers. Not only do you have your standard dodgeball but there are 5 others to learn about.
- Moonball: Once it is in your hands you will be able to jump higher and float down slower. This will give you a chance to aim at your target gracefully. The added bonus from the hit is that the opponent will be floating as well which your teammate and go for the final shot.
- Bomb ball: This one is tricky, once you pick it up the timer starts ticking and you will have 15 seconds to throw it at your opponents. Try to get multiple at once.
- Cage ball: It has police sirens which is a bit much, but if you toss it at an opponent they will become your prisoner and I would suggest throwing them over the edge before the time runs out and they can bust out.
- Sniper Ball: This is a football with a laser sight on it. The longer you hold the throw button the stronger the toss will be. It is a straight shot and can shoot from a far distance.
- You as a ball: That is right, you can also turn yourself into a ball which will be a devastating hit. If your teammate charges you longer you will then become a bomb that can potentially wipe out a whole squad.
You will have a nice hideout area to practice with your squad especially learning how to catch balls that are coming at you. Here is the kicker though. It is all about catching it at a precise time to get that purple charge. That makes it throw faster and gives it more power. However that other opponent can still time it right to catch it as well, so be mindful of that and use the fake option. It’s all about the tricks, you can fake a throw, throw curveballs, and lob balls as well. The double jump move that makes you spin is used for the curve shot. The flip is used to lob the ball in the air.
You gotta keep your opponent guessing and as well as coordinate with your team. There is a way to block a ball coming at you by throwing a ball in the same direction. It is a deflect which works well, and if you throw a ball at an opponent who just caught on can leave them vulnerable for an attack. Yes, you can still catch a ball even if you have one in your hand, but you will drop the other ball.
The commentary is hilarious
Knockout City has a great personality especially with the announcer giving you all the tips you need to know. I especially enjoyed how it made it clear that all the in-game cosmetics are just cosmetics and will not make you a better player. It kind of felt like a personal attack when you think about it *laughs* but I am glad they are being clear. This is EA we are talking about here, but I will not put it past them that there will be microtransactions of some kind.
The whole environment is fun to get around and finding the lay of the land is crucial. I do enjoy the art style of the characters and the different personalities that you can shine through your avatar. Pretty much everything can be customized even down to the car you drive to the match. Earn the points, make MVP and shine with your crew after each match.
My colleague I played with suggested a highlight real after a match to show that devastating shot because frankly there are many great finishers in matches. So, in overwatch speech a player of the game type thing, I would imagine. But I would take it a step further and do a highlight for all players, but that kind of coding might be a bit too much, just showing off some great highlights from the game.
Knockout City has potential and is a fun game all around. The game will be out on May 21st, 2021, and already feels pretty solid and fun. It has the right feel to get your heart pumping while you frantically run around the board looking for your opportunity. It is well animated like you are in a toon world and the unlocks are pretty cool. Looking forward to the full release when it drops. If you played the game please share your thoughts below and let me know what you liked or disliked. – Beast Out –